Attorney Marc J. Kaplan is a practicing trial lawyer, appellate lawyer, special master, and arbitrator. Having been certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Marc is a formidable advocate in court. He provides his clients with expertise in civil litigation and appeals, including complex divorces. He practices in all civil areas of the law, but primarily in the areas of family law and legal malpractice.
Marc is the Past President of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, represented Colorado as the State Delegate to the Family Law Section to the American Association for Justice, is past Vice President of the Colorado Bar Association, and served on the Board of Governors and the Executive Council of the Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association. Marc is a member of the Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court, American Association of Justice and numerous Bar Associations.
Marc received his law degree in 1983 from the University of Denver College of Law, with a specialization in Advocacy Skills. He was the first, and likely only, first-year law student to win the Moot Court Competition in the school’s history. Marc received several awards for trial skills in state and national competitions and was selected as a teaching assistant to retired Colorado Supreme Court Chief Justice, Edward E. Pringle. He received his undergraduate degree in Public Policy Studies, with a concentration in communications, from the Institute of Policy Services and Public Affairs at Duke University, in 1979. From 1990 through 1992, he returned to the law school as a Lawyering Process Adjunct Professor.
In 1979, Marc was chosen as a member of a six-person, bi-partisan team of young political leaders sponsored by the U.S. Department of State for European Political Conferences. He was President of the Duke Alumni Association of Colorado from 1990 to 1992. In 1993, Marc was given the Denver Bar Association Pro Bono Award, and was Chairman of the Children of Violence Committee for Colorado.
Marc has also served on the Board of Directors of the United Citizens of Arapahoe Neighborhoods. He has been selected for Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in America and Who's Who in American Law. He has received the AV® Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell®—the highest rating available to attorneys. Marc has also been a frequent lecturer and faculty member for legal education seminars, newspapers, and has appeared as a legal commentator on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, Court TV, BBC, and local television stations.
Marc has been selected to the list of Colorado Super Lawyers® since the inception of that designation and is a Best Lawyer in America for both Family Law and Legal Malpractice.
Areas of Practice
- Family law
- Legal malpractice
- Alternative dispute resolutions
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D., with a specialization in Advocacy Skills – 1983
- Institute of Policy Services and Public Affairs Duke University, N.C.
- B.A. in Public Policy Studies – 1979
- Major: Communications
Published Works & Presentations
- “Six Strategies for Successful ADR in Family Law,” with James M. Cordes, Law Week Colorado; June 24, 2019
- “Top Ten Tips for Preparing Case and Client for Mediation,” Boulder County Bar Association Family Law Section; January 16, 2018
- “Attorney’s Fees, Liens and Malpractice: Strategies and Ethical Considerations,” with James M. Cordes and assistance from H. Paul Himes, Jr., 2017 Family Law Institute; August 19, 2017
- “The Record on Appeal,” 2013 Family Law Institute; August 10, 2013
- “I Didn’t Do It!” 2008 Family Law Institute; August 9, 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Colorado State Delegate
- Colorado Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Colorado Supreme Court Committee on County & District Court Civil Jurisdiction & Access Issues, Member
- Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court, Member
- American College of Barristers, Senior Counsel Member