Child support

License Suspensions for the Failure to Pay Child Support in Colorado

When child custody orders are initially issued, it’s not uncommon for the noncustodial parent (the parent who pays child support) to be in the dark about how child support works and the ramifications if they stop paying. If you have been ordered to pay child support and you fall behind on your payments, the local child support agency will spring into action and utilize various enforcement tools.

One such enforcement tool which has proven to be “very effective” is license suspensions. All 50 states have laws on the books that suspend a noncustodial parent’s various licenses once their child support balance reaches a certain threshold.

Which licenses are affected? While it varies from state-to-state, the licenses that are generally affected include driver’s licenses, professional licenses, business licenses, and recreational licenses (e.g. hunting and fishing licenses).

Colorado’s Law on License Suspensions

Each state has its own threshold or amount of child support the parent must owe before the license suspensions can take effect. In Colorado, the noncustodial parent has to be in arrears of six months while they are paying less than 50% of their monthly child support obligation each month, or they must have failed to comply with a warrant or subpoena before the state begins to suspend the parent’s various licenses.

The types of licenses suspended in Colorado include:

  • Driver’s licenses
  • Occupational licenses
  • Professional licenses
  • Recreational licenses

If you owe back child support in Colorado and your licenses are at risk, you should be aware of the other enforcement tools that can be used to collect. Such tools include bank account levies, credit reporting, property liens, wage garnishment, tax refund intercept, and the denial or revocation of a US passport to name a few.

Next: Can I Stop Paying Child Support if I’m Unemployed?

If you’re behind on child support, Kaplan Law L.L.C. can help you resolve the matter. To schedule a consultation, contact us at (303) 747-4748.