Marc J. Kaplan
Marc J. Kaplan is a practicing trial lawyer, special master and arbitrator. Having been certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Mr. Kaplan is a formidable advocate in court. Mr. Kaplan provides to the firm expertise in civil litigation and appeals, including complex divorces. Mr. Kaplan practices in all civil areas of the law, but primarily in the areas of family law and legal malpractice.
Kaplan is Immediate Past President of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, represented Colorado as the State Delegate to the Family Law Section to the American Association for Justice, is past Vice President of the Colorado Bar Association, and served on the Board of Governors and the Executive Council of the Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association. Kaplan is a member of the Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court, the Faculty of Federal Advocates, and numerous Bar Associations
Kaplan received his law degree in 1983 from the University of Denver College of Law, with a specialization in Advocacy Skills. Kaplan received several awards for trial skills in state and national competitions, and was selected as a teaching assistant to retired Colorado Supreme Court Chief Justice Edward E. Pringle. Kaplan received his undergraduate degree in Public Policy Studies, with a concentration in communications, from the Institute of Policy Services and Public Affairs at Duke University, in 1979. From 1990 through 1992, Kaplan returned to the law school as a Lawyering Process Adjunct Professor.
In 1979, Kaplan was chosen as a member of a six- person bi-partisan team of young political leaders, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, for European Political Conferences. Kaplan was President of the Duke Alumni Association of Colorado from 1990 to 1992. In 1993, Kaplan was given the Denver Bar Association Pro Bono Award, and was Chairman of the Children of Violence Committee for Colorado. Kaplan has also served on the Board of Directors of the United Citizens of Arapahoe Neighborhoods since 1997. Kaplan has been selected for Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in America and Who's Who in American Law. He has received the rating AV from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available to attorneys. Marc J. Kaplan has also been a frequent lecturer and faculty member for legal education seminars, newspapers, and has appeared as a legal commentator on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, Court TV, BBC, and local television stations.
Areas of Practice
- family law and legal malpractice.
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- J.D., with a specialization in Advocacy Skills - 1983
- Institute of Policy Services and Public AffairsDuke University, N.C.
- B.A. in Public Policy Studies - 1979
- Major: Communications
- Colorado Auto Litigator's Handbook, Contributing Author
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Colorado State Delegate
- Colorado Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Colorado Supreme Court Committee on County & District Court Civil Jurisdiction & Access Issues, Member
- Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court, Member
- The Faculty of Federal Advocates, Member
- American College of Barristers, Senior Counsel Member